Thursday, May 5, 2011

Canning Class


I was asked to "fill-in" for two guest speakers who couldn't come to our RS meeting. I have canned chicken, beef, tomatoes from the garden and apple pie filling. I decided that I would try something unusual after Mark came home from the Temple to tell me that a Sister there has canned butter. I found a recipe and tried it as well as cake. I always half the recipe when I experiment, so I use these small 8 oz. bottles. I tried Apple Walnut Cake and Walmart generic butter, the recipe states that cheaper butter has to be shaken more often.....mine was EASY and was done in less than a half hour. The University of Arizona Extension Center does not recommend these methods and using eggs and butter in any form. However, when I find that other women have tried it and posted on their blogs.....I forge ahead FEARLESSLY!

I am going to consider these my little science projects for now and will keep an eye on them on my pantry shelf. My recipe states that the butter will keep for 5 months. I got a call this morning from a woman who said hers have been opened after 3 years and are perfectly FINE!

Now my next project....getting my solar oven to produce bread and rolls......

No comments: